1. --- __________ (not smoke) here.
--- I’m sorry.
---Can you see a sign on the wall? It means “No __________ (smoke)”.
2. Their father __________ (swim) very fast. Look, he __________ (swim) in the sports hall now.
3.---Where’s my camera?
---It __________ (is) on the table a moment ago.
4.__________ (do) Nancy’s brothers usually get up at six?
5. There are a lot of books. Please put __________ (they) into the library.
6. ---What can I do for you?
---I want to have two __________ (glass) of milk.
7. Hearing the __________ (excite) news, the students are getting __________ (excite).
In 1834, the clock tower in London was burned down. People planned to buil d a new clock which would be the biggest and the best in the world. So the clock had to be big and keep very good time. Several years later the tower was finished. The people put the big clock in the tower, and made it ring out for the first time on July 11, 1859.
In order to give the big clock a good name, people held a meeting. Someone wanted to call it the Queen of Bells , and someone thought Victoria was good . At last, a man named Benjamin Hall stood up. He was a big man. Before he started to speak, someone shouted, “Why not call it Big Ben?” Everybody laughed and agreed with him.
From then on, Big Ben became its name. And it also became a famous building of London. People all over the world write to Big Ben. They even send bottles of oil to help keep Big Ben running. Big Ben is not only a clock but also a dear friend of people.
46. Big Ben’s birthday is __________.
A. July 11, 1854 B. July 11, 1834
C. July 11 1859 D. July 11, 1852
47. How did Big Ben get its name?
A.Benjamin Hall gave it the name.
B.Big Ben got its name because of a joke.
C.Big Ben got its name from the Queen of the UK
D.Victoria gave it the name.
48. “Keep very good time” means ___________
A.have a good time
B.show people the correct time.
D.be made in time
49. Which of the following is NOT true?
A.People all over the world look upon Big Ben as their friends.
B.People all over the world even send oil to Big Ben.
C.People think Big Ben will reply their letters.
D.People think Big Ben is the biggest and the best clock in the world.
50. Benjamin Hall is ___________.
A. a man who built Big Ben
B. a man who was always very funny
C.the man who burnt down the old clock
D.a man who attended the meeting which was held to make a name for the big clock
1. Don't smoke, somking 解析：前半句是祈使句，变否定时加主动词do,后半句是标志的习惯译法，也可以理解为No后面加名词或名词词性的形式，即动名词形式。
2. swims, is swimming 解析：前半句表示状态，用一般现在时，且由于主语是爸爸，用动词单三形式;后半句有look这个时间标志，用现在进行时。
3. was 解析：最后的时间标志词，a moment ago应该用一般过去时。
4. Do 解析：主语是nancy's brothers是复数，助动词用DO。
5. them 解析：本题考查人称代词用法，本代词作put的宾语，用人称代词的宾格。代的是books用复数them.
6. glasses 解析：本题考查不可数名词表个体时，要用单位名词，在表示复数时将单位名词变复数。
7. exciting, excited 解析：exciting指(物或事件)让人觉得兴奋;excited指(人)兴奋的。
1. C 解析：本题从第一段最后一句便可得知答案。
2. B 解析：本题从第二段最后一句可推断出答案。
3. B 解析：本题是推断意思的题目，是阅读理解题中的难点。这类推断短语意思的题目要通读划线部分整句及前后一句基本上就可以得出答案。前一句提到人们希望这个钟应该是'biggest and the best'，这与后文的句子是对应的。Big对应biggest, Keep very good time与the best对应。对clock而言，the best就应该是时间很准，所以选B。这类题目一般都直接看不出意思，要通过上下文判断。
4. C 解析：本题为判断正误题，而且选的是错误的选项，应该把每个选项都看过，逐一排除。文中提到人们写信给big Ben但并没提到人们希望能收到回信，所以C选项错误。
5. D 解析：本题通过通读二三段可得出答案。